There's an 'Around the World in 80 Clicks' type of thing happening in the blog world/cyberspace for all you mom's out there. The object is to find as many mommy bloggers as possible to tell/write the 5 things they love about being a mother and then tag another person or a few, but make sure to tell the ppl you're tagging, and then link back to the original page (be sure to tell them that you've done this) so that they know you've participated and so that they can add you to their list.
I first read about it through a friend on Facebook who happens to be involved with Global Voices Online and they're helping to spread the word. A woman at Her Bad Mother decided to start this initiative and it seems to really be catching on. She's linked several countries (hoping to get as many as possible to join in) and hopefully by the 80th day, it will have happened. :)
It's taken me a few days to think about it... afraid that I might write something down and later regret having listed that and not something else... which has only caused me un-needed stress... so I've decided to wing it and let my mind and heart carry me away to where it needs to go.... not that I don't love being a mother.. it's not that, but like Her Bad Mother... I often feel the same as she does. I don't always have the best of days, my house is always a wreck, and I don't love all kids. There's actually so much I could write about w/ respect to what causes me grief... and probably the reason I had such a hard time making a list of the positives, well... let's leave it at that. At least this made me think about the love I have for my son and all the reasons I love motherood. :) So here goes:
1. I must say that the number one thing I love about being a mother is being so in love with my little guy. I never thought this type of love was possible. It was instantaneous. Weird for someone who never wanted to have children.... but the thing is... until you have a baby, you don't know the feeling. I know love... I love my husband, I love my mother, I love my sisters and brothers, I love my animals, but the love I feel for Naief is indescribable. There's nothing that fills the heart more than the love for your child.
2. I love listening and talking to him. It's really nice at this age because he's really learning to communicate and we can actually have conversations. One mother wrote that she feels like she has a little mini-best friend. It made me cry because that's exactly how I feel. I love that he loves to talk.... about anything and everything. He sings too... and this is beyond words. I'll pretend not to be paying attention while he's singing or humming... and it's just too precious. I don't even know how to put into words how it makes me feel.
3. I love to watch him sleep. I can lie beside him for long periods of time and do nothing but look at him. He's so angelic looking, and this really helps to calm a momma down after a day of two-year old tantrums. Plus, when I'm beside him and he wakes up, he gets the biggest smile on his face and I usually get the best hugs and kisses then!!
4. I love getting kisses and hugs. This usually happens when he first wakes up or is about to go to bed, but sometimes he'll surprise me during the day with big ones. I take as many as I can get because I know it wont be too long before I'm getting nothing (he's growing so fast).... so I figure 100 or so a day isn't too bad.... :) Even if 'monster mommy' has to hold him down and gobble the sweet sugars up from every opening on his body!! :))) I'll do it if it means getting every last drop of sugar kisses left on his little neck, belly, arms, legs... even his stinky little feet! They're everywhere! :) Sometimes he's none to happy ... but most times, he'll turn his head and say "more" or squeal with delight as I'm gobbling them up!
5. I love being needed in the way that he needs me. This may sound weird... but in day-to-day life, you don't find a lot of ppl who really *need* you. Some ppl need you at work to finish projects, need you to do things for them, need you to pay bills on time, need you to buy their products, etc.... but this need... it is truly the real deal. It makes me feel complete as a woman and a mother... because I need him just as much as he needs me.
So.. this is my list. I know it doesn't cover everything... but these are the good ones, I think.
I tag Janeen, Valerie, Sarah, Nzinghas Soap Box, Lost in America, and anyone else who wants to do it... please let me know when you have though. I'd love to read your list!!
Good day my friends!