today, Les Horton (GDN), wrote about comfort food in his article. it got me to thinking about this, especially w/ it being Ramadan and so much energy and focus being on food right now, so i started running down the list in my mind of my comfort foods. here goes....
1) mashed potatoes (i have to say that i make really good mashed potatoes... i've had some ppl try to copy them here, but can't! ;) ... tip for good ones - use russet potatoes and don't overcook the potatoes and whip 'em until they're nice and fluffy - add lots of butter, salt & don't forget the milk - whole milk is the best and you can add just a tad of cream, if you'd like)
2) macaroni & cheese casserole (this is a dish that my mom fixes for thanksgiving or christmas. it's not the usual "outta the box" kind, but homemade and i love it!!! i was actually sorta craving this today... might make it tomorrow)
3) potatoe and asparagus casserole (this is another fav of mine. i could prob sit and eat several helpings of this, but since it's topped w/ cheddar cheese, it is rather fattening, but gosh, it's oh so yummy!!)
4) i love bread pudding. my mom makes the absolute best... you serve it w/ pudding after it's made and been in the oven and nice and toasty... oh gosh, this is so good. but i can't remember the pudding name and now it's bugging me ... now, i remember - butterscotch pudding... and they don't sell it here!! :( this isn't the english version of bread pudding, just so you know.
5) i love french fries dipped in gravy or chili cheese fries. they make the best in texas.
6) i love sonic burgers.... gosh, i haven't had one of these in sooooooooo long. too bad.
7) fried green tomatoes. this is something my mom has fixed since i was a young girl. i love to make them but only get green tomatoes sometimes here in bahrain, so it's not often that i get to fix them. but luckily, the hubby loves 'em as much as me. sometimes when i make these, i eat so much that it makes me sick. but... they're so good i can't resist.
8) i also love sweets and some of my favorite comfort deserts are brownies, pineapple upside down cake, german choc. cake, choc. chip cookies, no bake cookies (these are an absolute fav of mine), and pudding. i love choc. pudding.
9) my husband also reminded me that i love to sit around munching on chocolate. i'm sorta particular about choc. though and don't like just every variety of it. i love butterfingers (can't get here), hershey bars w/ nuts, choc. kisses, M&Ms w/ nuts, twix, and a few others that i can only get in the States. needless to say, i love candy. :)
anyway... i love food, if you can't tell... there are so many things that i get cravings for and just have to fix. i love good 'ole fashioned american food. the other day these two young guys came into my office at work and were talking to me about food. they first thought i was british, like a lot of ppl think, altho i don't have a british accent but many don't know the accents here... anyway... when they found out that i was american, they then asked me if my favorite food was hamburgers, when i said "no", they then asked if it was steak. again, i said "no". most of the foods i told them about, they didn't know and since their vocabulary is limited and my arabic is limited, it was hard for me to tell them about all the good down home food that my mom makes and i make too, things that i so dearly love.
my mom is such a great cook. i miss that. my younger sis is so lucky in that my mom lives w/ her and she gets to have whatever she wants, whenever she wants. i'm severely jealous over this! ;)
anyway... what are some of your favorite comfort foods? i'd love to hear yours. :)
have a good saturday everyone and for all of you starting your weekend, have a good one!