Sunday, November 18, 2007

Planet Earth


Wow... has anyone seen this Discovery Channel/BBC documentary/series that's being shown or was shown in the U.S.??? It's phenomenal!!! I've never seen this type of coverage before... and if you like animals and seeing the earth/world in the most brilliant of ways, you should definitely watch this show.

We've been watching it for the last few nights and I'm in complete awe. I sit and watch it, and, probably to the disbelief of my hubby, I don't make a sound.

It took 5 years for them to get all the footage for this and they traveled the world... they have footage of animals that no human has ever seen before. We watched the snow leopard make a kill last night... it was incredible. This has never been filmed before. The female leopard was so beautiful. Her feet and tail were huge. Both help her to keep her balance while walking/running on the side of the mountain and while chasing prey.

I will add, the one thing about "making the kill" is that they don't show all the blood and gore like many other animal programs. Even though, you stay on the edge of your seat because the footage is breathtaking.

I highly recommend this program and would love to hear from anyone that's been watching it. I saw it previewed on Oprah. She loves it and now I can see why. If anyone saw her show where she's talking about this program... well, everything she said is right on.

I used to watch Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom when I was young, and I watch the Animal Planet all the time, but neither of these compare to this program. Truly, it's the most amazing footage I've ever seen in my life. And... the added benefit is that it teaches you about the planet, and you travel the globe... so you get in some geography... which never hurt anyone. :)

If you wanna check out the info on this program, go here.

20 comments:

Ammaro said...

now you understand how we feel when were watching Top Gear

The Moody Minstrel said...

I'm with you. I've always loved nature (particularly animal) and world travel programs and will happily monopolize the TV when one comes on. I'm kind of funny that way! :-)

Ra7aLaH said...

Planet beautiful!!! it was one of the best things I have seen on television, ever.

Um Naief said...

moody, hashim loves this too! have you seen it??? if not, you'll have to get it... download it or something. you will absolutely love it... i guarantee you!

ammaro, what's top gear???

Um Naief said...

ra7alah, you loved it too?!! isn't it the best?!!! i am amazed by it. we've only begun the 2nd cd, and i can't wait until tonight when we get to sit down, rest and watch it. OMG... it's the best thing i've ever seen.

eshda3wa said...

i havent watched yet
but will definitely check it out!!

Anonymous said...

Um Naief, I'm British, it's the BBC, of COURSE I've watched it :)) It's brilliant. As is Top Gear.

Jahooni said...

Yes... isn't it just wonderful? Haven't seen all the series yet but it is a DVD collection that I would love to have...

HINT HINT! ;-)

Ammaro said...

WHATS TOP GEAR?!??!!?


INFIDEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ammaro said...

lol...

no, top gear is just the greatest show to ever grace television; its about cars. if your husband doesnt know it (or any male for that matter), he probably has issues.

Heres an example.

Watch it.

http://ammar456.blogspot.com/2007/11/small-cars-jeremy-clarkson-and.html

Olivia said...

I think I've seen some of these episodes on either BBC or Discovery. I love nature programs, have watched them since I was tiny.

Nowadays, the footage is miraculous of course. Remember when helicopters used to hover overhead scattering herds and raising dust? Well, no more. The gimbled military camera used to scan long distances is now used to film nature programs from over a mile away, so crystal clear and in sharp detail you get to see animals doing things in peace.

Olivia said...

Ooh, I just played the Mission: Earth game on the Discovery website. It was fun guiding 7 expeditions!

poetic muslim said...

that is so great that you like to learn and watch about the world I find that facinating to . I love watching animal programmes I think it is so amazing .
my blog is www.confusedaboutlife.wordpress.com

I hardly check anyones blog , because my mood has been off :)
hopefully I will cheer up .

Anonymous said...

I loved that program,love the animals,love the earth,did i ever tell you's i've been on the "Rainbow Warrior" or is that too geeky?

Um Naief said...

gazza, what's Rainbow Warrier???? i've never heard of it.

ammaro, i had to laugh lastnight, coz hashim said "you've never watched Top Gear".. and i'm like "no"... don't even know what it is. do they even show it here?? i can't say that it would be a favorite since i'm not really that into cars - altho i used to be... nowadays, simple is best. but hey.. i do watch Pimp My Ride on E... that's pretty cool. ;)

poetic, my mood hasn't been right for the last few months either. i'm hoping i'm on the upswing tho and about to pull outta it. altho, the last few days has left me wondering!

olivia, i was wondering how they got those crystal clear shots. i was watching it the other night and apparently they sat out on the ice for 5 days - thru the blizzard - to get footage of the pinguions... (can't remember how to spell that!!) i found the footage of this show truly spectacular. i'd love to be out there, seeing it first hand... it's something i've always wanted to do.

LouLou said...

Not much of a TV person here but I love animals so you've sold me on it.:)

Um Naief said...

loulou, weird, i was thinking of you earlier and about this show... very weird that you commented about this particular thing.

even tho you may not be a tv person per say, i do think if you love animals and nature... you would love this. give it a few times and see what you think.

The Moody Minstrel said...

BTW Um Naief, Memo's site seems to have vanished!

Anonymous said...

Rainbow Warrior is the boat used by Greenpeace.

Rock Chef said...

We watch a lot of these programs - fascinating and great for the kids too. Nature is wonderful but too few seem to appreciate it these days.