Monday, May 01, 2006

Black cats and jins

When I lived in the States, I used to do a lot of volunteer work for cat organizations/adoption agencies. In all the years that I've been around cats, lived w/ them, worked w/ them, I've never come across a sweeter kitty than a black cat. They seem to have the best temperament of all... ok, maybe not of all, but they are really sweet, especially the boys. We have a girl, she's quite talkative and wants for constant attention, and is the sweetest lil thing you could ever have.

Many in the U.S. still associate black cats w/ witchcraft and think that if a black cat crosses your path, then it's bad luck. On Halloween, ppl advise you to keep your black cats indoors. Why, because some ppl kill them - especially on Halloween. I've never quite understood the logic behind this and I don't think I ever will. Which brings me to my next point....

do most ppl here believe that black cats have jins inside of them? Most of the ppl that I've talked to about this believe it to be true. Now, I haven't talked to tons of ppl because I gave up. Sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you try to convince someone of something, they still don't get it. Or so I believe.

I have heard horror stories from several women who claim to know someone who knows someone that was killed by a **black cat**. Seems to be the same type of story over and over again - there's a jin inside the black cat and it's the jin that kills the person after sneaking inside the house... yada yada yada.

One girl I know, she won't even come over to our house because of our cats. I can only imagine what she'd do if she knew we had a black cat. She's a person who has related one such story to me about a black cat. I refused to believe it and tried to tell her how crazy it is, but she wouldn't listen. She feels absolutely certain about her beliefs - same as me.

I guess I don't understand this whole jin thing. I believe in ghosts and even had an experience once that spooked me really bad, and I know a lot of ppl who have had experiences w/ ghosts - in the States - but not here.

In Bahrain, I only hear about jins and black cats. Why are ppl so quick to rule out that maybe it's an old wives' tale?? told ages ago?? This is something that makes me sit and think, "hmmmm".

4 comments:

Leilouta said...

That is too funny.
Seriously, a high school friend of mine got mad at me because while walking to school I said," oh, look at this black cat". She was really upset by the fact that I showed her a black cat first thing in the morning. She thought that it would affect her whole day.

Um Naief said...

It reminds me of such things like - don't walk under a ladder, step on a crack - break your momma's back, break a mirror - 13 yrs bad luck and the list goes on.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really enjoy yours. You remind me of myself in a lot of ways.

Leilouta said...

Actually, I thought you reminded me of myself in a lot of ways too :)
I enjoy your blog too :)

Um Naief said...

Aaahh... isn't it interesting how things come in and out of your life? Peace to your kitty.

I love black cats. Our girl is sorta crazy. She cries all the time and doesn't like to be held either, but I adore her.

We have lots of cats and all of them are so different.. they give me such peace and bring so much happiness into my life.