Sunday, March 05, 2006

And the Oscar goes to.....

The Oscars come on today/tonight/tomorrow early a.m., not sure what time because of the time difference so the chances of my missing them are very freakin high... which pisses me off, but ... what to do. The main actors that I like that are up for awards are Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. One picture that's up for awards which I am having a hard time understanding WHY is Brokeback Mountain, but things in Hollywood are so damn political... have been for years, so I'm pretty sure that's why.

Ted Casablanca, from the E Channel, says that Brokeback isn't any good and that it doesn't portray the gay lifesytle for what it "truly" is (and HE should know). I have no idea really, but I do know that the gay guys that I've been around aren't like what I've seen in the clips (Bahrain hasn't screened the movie as of yet and I doubt seriously if they ever will.... taking the subject matter and all), but... I would think the movie's skewed or is shot from a different way of looking at "gay" cowboy life. I wouldn't doubt if it doesn't win big... I mean, shoot, they haven't had a gay film win anything for a while... the last was the one w/ Cher... I can't remember the name, but it was a long time ago.... oh yeah, Silkwood.

Felicity Huffman is up for Transamerica which, by the way, is a really good movie. If you haven't seen it, check it out. I hope she wins... I like her. She seems to be the only one of the Desperate Housewives crew that's doing anything w/ their career. Oh gawd, I can only imagine the cat fights on that lot if Ms. Huffman wins! or maybe a little backstabbing would be their cup of tea.

The guy who stars in the movie Hustle & Flow, Terrence Howard, is up for an award as well. I saw him in the movie Crash, which was excellent, but we haven't seen Hustle & Flow.... even though we have it... just haven't watched it. Maybe I will tonight. He's a good actor... I hope he wins... but he's up against Joaquin Phoenix and I really loved Walk The Line, so I'm kinda torn on who I want to win. It'll prob be all political though and the best actor won't win... so we shall see what happens.

I'm really upset though because some of my fav movies didn't even get in this year... there were several really good ones. Seems like the BIG movies are all about the gay lifestyle, which is cool, if it portrays the truth... and the only one that did, from what I hear, is Transamerica, but it's not about the gay lifestyle but about a transexual... I think it'll win. The movies about prostitutes and such always win big w/ the academy and I'm sure this year won't be any different.

At least I hope the host is good this year, and funny. It makes or breaks the Oscars. I wish Billy Crystal was hosting... he's always so good.

No comments: