Saturday, March 04, 2006

Goo, goo, gaa, gaa

What is it about the pitter patter of little feet that get some girls' pulses jumping for joy? I can't say that I'm one of them or ever have been, but there was a time a few months back that I thought seriously about it.

BUT... yesterday, I, once again, changed my mind about the notion of having a baby. Maybe it's just that I don't care for the way some people raise kids... because some just don't get the concept of discipline, or if it's that I just don't like kids. I use to think that I just didn't like children but I have seen and even taught some kids that I really did enjoy being around, so I'm not sure what's up or if I have decided, for good, not to have a kid or what. I know that I'd be letting down a bunch of people if I chose not to do it, but then again, it is my choice. Right?!! Or at least in some parts of the world, the woman does have a say as to whether or not she wants a child. Here, most women can't wait to have kids, once they get married. And then they wind up popping out two or three of them within a few years... I just don't think this is my cup of tea. Maybe I'll change my mind one day... who knows.

I think it's when the child hits that walking age that they truly start to annoy me, or maybe... like I said, it's just that some don't discipline so it puts a black mark on all their foreheads. I love my little niece (my younger sister's little girl), she's 5 and really smart... I think that's why I like her so much. She can entertain herself for hours and has been able to do this for years. I have to give mucho kudos to my sister though... cuz she's a really good mother! So it shows in my niece.

On the other hand, what I've been seeing lately are mothers who do nothing but sit and entertain their children for hours on end and believe anyone in the near vicinity of that child HAS to do the same. They never sit the child down and, if they do, it's on their laps. I'm of the belief that women, once they have children, need some type of normality in their lives and still need to be active in the things they were doing prior to giving birth... but a lot of women, here in the Gulf area, don't do that. But, many weren't active to begin with... so what do I expect?

Before all you mothers out there start attacking me on my beliefs... cuz NO, I don't have kids and I don't know what it's like to have a child (but I've been around children a lot) ... so I do know what it's like and that if and when I ever have a child, I plan to raise my child completely different than a lot of ppl raise them here. I think I'd go insane if not. I know I almost did yesterday. But... as soon as I left that house, I took a deep breath and then sighed a breath of relief! Glorious relief!!

No comments: